Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mighty Tasty


1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup Mighty Tasty (found at Kitchen Kneads)
Agave Syrup
Peaches
Milk
Bring water to boil, add Mighty Tasty. Stir well, and turn heat to low. Simmer until cereal is to your desired thickness. Serve with peaches, agave syrup and milk.
This is one of my favorite breakfast meals! This great mix, is made by coarsely grinding brown, rice, corn, buckwheat and sorghum. I buy this meal ready made at a local store called Kitchen Kneads. It is gluten free.
I would just like to add that almost all of the grains make great hot cereal. Oatmeal is made by rolling the whole grain called oat groats. Oat groats are very yummy eaten as a whole grain as well as rolled in the form of oatmeal. Always remember that the ground or cracked cereals require a little more water. 2 or 3 cups water to 1 cup of cracked or ground cereal. Oat groats, brown rice, or any other whole grain cooked is cooked with 2 cups water to 1 cup of grain. Bringing water to boil, then adding grain, turning it to low for 45 minutes. Yes, cooking these grains takes longer and can often be put in a crock pot on low over night. Also, if you have a pressure cooker, it can be done in around 12 minutes. Eating whole grains for breakfast surpasses the nutrition found in cold cereals and will leave you and your family full for much longer. I've been feeding my kids these cereals all week and they are full until lunch! Within an hour of eating cold cereal my kids are asking for food...and it drives me crazy! Enjoy experimenting around with your grains for breakfast.

6 comments:

The Jessee Journal said...

Hey that "Mighty Tasty" sounds... well, mighty tasty. Is it sold in a box like cold ceral? Or do you buy it in a bulk section?

Lynette said...

AWESOME!! Did you take that picture? Did you arrange it so beautiful? I am impressed!! 2 weeks ago I ran out of Mighty Tasty!! So I am going to have to make a stop when I am there!! And for some reason, 9 grain is harder for me to eat when prego. I guess that I need to add more water so it is not so thick.

Jenny said...

Marcie...Mighty Tasty is sold in a bag at Kitchen Kneads...located at about 7500 South and Redwood Road. I get most all of my Food Storage there. They have the best wheat, well best in all grains and beans, highest in protein and very good quality. It isn't found in local stores and I believe Kitchen Kneads combined these different grains and gave it that name. Are you coming to the family reunion tomorrow? If so, I could bring you some to try.

Jenny said...

Yes, Lynette...add more water to your 9 grain. I have cooked mine like brown rice in the past and it is way too thick...If you want it more creamy then do like 5 cups of water to 1 or 2 cups of 9 grain. This is the same with the Mighty Tasty as well.

Stephanie said...

i have never heard of this before i will have to go get some to try..do you think my kids will eat this?

Debbi said...

This was so informative. I've been wanting to grow my own alfalfa sprouts since you can't find them in the store anymore. I'm going to try to get a sprouter and use your blog to get started. This was awesome information and we can all eat healthier nowadays.
Thanks for all the time this took too.