Friday, July 24, 2009

Kefir

My friends and family who know me best, know that I'm into weird and healthy things. This is definately one of them. My Mom suggested this as I am now expecting baby #5 and experiencing all sort of discomfort.

Kefir is a "good bacterica", much like what you find in a probiotic or in yogurt. I'm still studying Kefir and all it's benefits. It is a grain like clump that is white and it fermented in cows milk, although I'm learning that it comes in many forms and can be grown in many different liquids like soy milk, juice, beer, etc. It is usually fermented for 24 hours in a glass jar in a cool, dark environment. I then strain it, and it leaves this yogurt like drink. The first time I tried this, I could hardly gag it down. It is basically fermented milk, and it has a very strong taste. I told myself I would try it for a week. It has done wonders for me!

Below is a couple of sites that explain Kefir much better than I.

http://www.kefir.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

oh man i still need to try this.....maybe