Monday, June 21, 2010

Long, Slow, Journey

Life with 5 is insane! I haven't really been doing that great with my eating until the last week. I hopped on the scale today and found that I have lost 4 more pounds. It would have been more, if I would have eaten better, but to be honest, I just find myself drowning in days full of cleaning, kids and more. Cutting out sugar is my biggest problem. How can I get through my days without something a little sweet in them?! Well, enough whining, I'm back on track. I'm actually amazed I still lost weight over the last month! I'm not going to rationalize that and give myself permission to be a glutton. No more. I have been ever so religious this week, and I feel okay. The cravings are diminishing somewhat.

So, what am I doing? What is "eating healthy" to me? There are many ways to eat healthy. I prefer to just eat whole grains, protein (meat, beans, eggs), and lots of veggies and eat things in moderation, but sometimes to jump start things I will do something different. For me the easiest way to lose weight is to cut back on my carbs for awhile. So, I am eating chicken, turkey, fish, (once a week) red meat, eggs, all the veggies I want, one handful of nuts a day, and tonz of water. I am limiting my oils, to 1 tablespoon a day. I do add 1/2 a banana in my protein shakes, yes I do drink one a day. So my typical day goes like this...

Breakfast - 2-3 eggs and a spinach parsley shake (sounds gross, but is quite refreshing)

Lunch - Chicken breast with a huge salad, cilantro-lime dressing (homemade)

Snack - 1 handful of nuts, and/or a spinach shake

Dinner - (ground turkey) taco salad. I do have light sour cream and salsa.

Snack - Protein Shake

Usually when I eat this way I can lose about 10 pounds in 2-3 weeks. I am still nursing Ruthie, so I am making sure I get enough calories and supplement Flax Seeds in my shakes and Nutrional Yeast Powder (1 Tablespoon) once a day, to ensure I can continue to breastfeed.

I feel like it is essential to get in protein, for me, because I always experience hair loss after I have my babies and this seems to help it. The only drawback to this way of eating is I do have to cut back on the exercise. I find that I don't have the endurance I need, but I don't do this for long before I add in fruit and grains in moderation. I don't think this is a healthy way to eat for the long term. So, I'll keep you posted on how I do! Feel free to join me!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Good job Jen! you are awesome! so this is my favorite skinny/fat joke. what did the zero say to the eight? nice belt. are you laughing? i love it! i'm still laughing!

Ariane said...

Hey Jen, it sounds like you're doing awesome! I have the hardest time cutting out my carbs. I feel like I do pretty good with the ones I do eat though :)
I would love to try the tortilla recipe. Any good healthy recipes actually lol. I really want to learn how to eat healthier. I have already cut out the sugar so I'm good there. I just need more suggestions I guess. Look forward to reading about your success!