Thursday, February 10, 2011

Maltodextrin

What is Maltodextrin?

Basically maltodextrin is an artificial sweetener made from corn, rice, or potatoes. It is essentially carbohydrates or starches broken down (processed) into a white powder used as a filler in many of our foods.

In reading Suicide By Sugar, I discovered what this substance is and what it is used for. It is so interesting to me how companies are using all sorts of different words to basically mask the fact that we are putting artificial substances and sugar into our bodies! Maltodextrin is a filler! I took out my beloved package of Stevia in the Raw and guess what the #1 ingredient was? Yep. Maltodextrin...then Stevia. Ugh.

I did find that some liquid stevia's DO NOT contain maltodextrin. I will be using that instead.

An article about Maltodextrin...click HERE.

Can sugar or artificial sweeteners be completely avoided? It will be difficult. I am 10 days without sugar or artificial sweeteners and although I haven't lost any weight, I feel so good! I'm not even chewing gum, people! After 10 days of this, I don't miss it. I made sugar cookies last night, and I didn't even taste them! That is momentous for me. If any of you have experienced my sugar cookies, you would understand how huge this is. Valentines Day is MY holiday. I love this holiday!

I am on a mission to avoid all sugar/artificial sweeteners. I hope to post some recipes soon :)Link

No comments: