Saturday, October 4, 2008

Omelet Taco Salad

I made taco salads the other night and my hubby D was in the mood for eggs as well, so he decided to make and omelet and then pile on all the taco salad stuff...I thought it was a yummy idea and took a picture. Also, years ago I found a great Taco Seasoning recipe in one of my favorite books Set For Life, that I'm going to post. I've modified it a little to make it a little more healthy, Jen style.


Omelet Taco Salad

Flat Unfolded Omelet

2-3 eggs
1 tablespoon water
salt
pepper
2-3 tablespoons Quinoa (optional)
(add onion, peppers, mushrooms if you desire)

Whisk eggs and seasonings together in a bowl. Using a small omelet size fry pan, turn the heat to medium high. When the pan is hot, spray well or add 1 tablespoon olive oil or my favorite, grapeseed oil (found at Smiths Marketplace). Pour in eggs. Using a spatula gently lift the edge of the eggs and allow the eggs from on top to go underneath. Repeat this along the entire edge until most of the runny eggs on top are cooked. Gently slide the Omelet onto a plate and flip the uncooked side back into the fry pan. Cook until slightly brown. ( I hope this wasn't too confusing and I know there are many ways to make omelets!)

Green Salad

1 head red leaf lettuce washed and cut into thin strips
2 large leaves of kale finely chopped
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 small bag of spinach
1 red onion
1 carrot grated
1 red pepper thinly sliced

Taco Meat

1-2 lbs. Ground Turkey
1 onion chopped
2-3 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
2-3 tablespoons water

Brown ground Turkey and onion, add water and taco seasoning, simmer for 5 minutes.


Taco Seasoning

1/3 cup dry minced onion
2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons spelt flour or white/pinto bean flour

Mix ingredients and store in airtight container. I usually double or triple this recipe and it is much cheaper and yummier than the packages of taco seasoning you would buy at the store.

To Make:

Put omelet on your plate, heap salad on top. Spoon the taco meat on top of the salad and top with salsa, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

It sounds so good right now!! What a great idea!! Maybe I will try it tonight!! I love the shake ideas too!! They look so good!!

Stephanie said...

wow thank you for the taco seasoning recipe! I had no idea!