Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Beef Stew


Okay, I must admit that soups/stews are my favorite thing to make, besides bread...lol. My husband has been begging me to make my stew for a few weeks, so here it is ;) Oh and take a look at that love-r-ly role in the background...I made that too! I might have mastered bread but it's a gamble when I make rolls, somehow I'm a little uncoordinated when it comes to shaping them and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't...today was a good day!
Beef Stew
1-2 lbs stew meat
2 cups baby carrots cut in half
3 stalks celery sliced
3 yellow potatoes
1 onion
1-2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons Redmond Salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3-4 cups Beef Broth
4 cups water
1 cup white bean flour (thickens the stew)
1/2 cup barley
Brown beef, then add to large crockpot. Add carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, barley, and beef broth. In a bowl add water and whisk in white bean flour and spices. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. This makes a ton, cut the recipe in half if your not feeding an army like I am every night...lol! Enjoy!
*Just a couple of suggestions/thoughts: I love using bean flour as a thickening agent. It is sooo healthy and when combined with a whole grain, it makes a complete protein. Grain/Bean grinders are pricey but well worth the investment! If you do not have a grinder, even a small hand grinder, most of which are relatively inexpensive, will work great. I will also use barley, spelt or whole wheat flour as a thickening agent as well, but prefer bean flours.


4 comments:

Stephanie said...

i have to make soup tomorrow night for my ward party i think i will try this one! (is there an alternative to bean flour?)i know dumb Q!

Jenny said...

Yep...just plain old flour ;) Whole Wheat can be used and there is no difference to the taste or texture of the soup, and no one will notice that you used whole wheat instead of white, cause the soup is brown anyway..haha! Have fun!

Debbi said...

Jenny your recipe's and knowledge of a healthier alternative is motivating me to get on the band wagon. Thanks for inspiring me and for sharing these recipes. You are the best!

Debbi said...

I love these recipes. I'm going to make the stew this week. You have inspired me to get on the healthier cooking band wagon. Kristi is going to grow her own sprouts and I'm thrilled! It's nice being neighbors :)