Thursday, March 4, 2010

Exercise, People!

I just visited my doc this last week for my 6 week check-up after having Ruth. She was shocked to see I'd lost 30 lbs! I gained 25 lbs during this pregnancy. I completely owe it to exercise and watching my diet. I didn't have this success with my other 4 children. I went back to the gym 2 weeks after Ruth was born. It was hard! I took it easy, but even still it has been challenging.

I religiously started exercising after my second baby was born in 2000. I didn't exercise during pregnancy only in between after that. It was such a hard thing to begin! I had to do it at 11:00 a.m. I couldn't get up early and after I'd exercise I'd eat and then take a nap. That's how much it drained me! Within 4 weeks I was running a 5k and had lost 15 pounds. I was hooked. I felt stronger, more confident and happy that I'd achieved something. In 2007 I began lifting weights. Wow! It completely changed my body. I've always struggled with my last 30 lbs and still do, but I'm fitting into a size in jeans that I fit into when I was 30 lbs lighter, if that makes sense. I feel so much better doing it!

If you hate exercise...find something that you enjoy. It could be as simple as dancing with your kids, riding a bike, skateboarding, hiking, swimming, etc. Exercise can be enjoyable. Over the years, I've found many friends to exercise with, this helps as well! ALWAYS bring good music or books. Find a good environment. If you enjoy being home, find something to do at home, if you need a gym, join one, it's worth the money. If you love being outside...go outside! If your excuse is kids, bring them along...again the investment in strollers is worth it. At one point I had a double running stroller. The kids loved our daily run. The investment in you is worth it!

1 comment:

Kaylene said...

Happy to have found another one of your inspiring blogs! :) You are awesome. Good for you being all motivated and feeling good. You rock! :)