Monday, March 29, 2010

Sloppy Joes

This is such a yummy recipe with such good flavor! It is so easy to make and just put in a crockpot for a few hours.

Sloppy Joes

1 pound lean ground Beef (I will sometimes do a mixture of Ground Turkey and Beef)
1/2 cup COOKED Breakfast Blend (see below)
one medium onion, peeled and grated
1/2 cup water
6- ounce can tomato paste
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but it give such good flavor, try it!)
1 big squirt of ketchup (to taste)
1 squirt mustard (to taste)

Brown meat. Add everything, simmer for 5-7 minutes or put in crockpot, ON LOW, for 3-4 hours.

Serves 6-8 (I always at least double or triple this for my little family of 7, it leaves us a little leftovers!)

Enjoy!


Breakfast Blend is something I pick up at my local health food store, Kitchen Kneads. However, you can make your own. It is just a blend of grains, using equal parts of each of these grains; buckwheat, barley, brown rice, millet, and oat groats.

To Cook this: Add 2 parts water to 1 part Breakfast Blend (2 c. water, 1 cup blend)
Bring water to boil, add in the Breakfast Blend, COVER, and cook for 30 minutes ON LOW or until the grains are soft and absorbed by water.

This is a yummy hot cereal for breakfast as well, put a little honey or brown sugar on it, num!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am going to make this for my family up at our cabin this weekend! I cant wait! thanks woman!

Stephanie said...

they LOVED it!