Monday, April 23, 2012

Spelt Thins

I found an amazing blog that I just love!  It's called Oh She Glows.  I found a great recipe I wanted to try, Wheat Thins. I am trying to get away from using a lot of wheat,  so I made a substitution or two to her recipe.  This is HER recipe all the way!  But I do love that I could make my variations and it still turned out fantastic!  These home made crackers are, to me, so much better than the origional "Wheat Thin" crackers.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!



Spelt Thins
1 1/4 cups spelt flour
1 1/2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons chilled extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water (maybe more)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400.  Line two large baking sheets with parchment.  In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.  With a pastry cutter, cut in coconut oil until the mixture is in fine crumbles.

Mix vanilla and water and then pour into the flour mixture.  Stir this mixture until it comes together.  Flour your hands and get in and work the dough with your hands until the mixture is soft and pliable. 

Split dough in half and flour your counter.  Roll the dough very thin and cut into squares or with a small cookie cutter, cut shapes into your dough.  With a spatula, move the cut pieces to your large baking sheets.  Bake 10 minutes.  Watch closely.  Rotate your pan halfway through baking.  (I did overbake my first batch and they were still very yummy)

*my variations were using coconut oil instead of Earth Balance.  I also decreased the amount of salt, but did sprinkle some on top of the crackers.  I used spelt instead of wheat.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yum...yum....and YUM!!