Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mac & Cheese


This is so yummy! I can't really claim it as my own though. I did make a few variations from the original. My inspiration came from Chef Brad and this meal he made during one of his classes during Education Week at BYU.
Mac & Cheese
2-4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1/3 cup spelt flour
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 to 1 cup cooked Quinoa (optional)
2 lbs Pinwheel Pasta
2-3 cups Mexican Cheese Shredded
salt
pepper
Cook pasta as directed on the package. Saute Onion and Garlic in a large skillet or Wok. Whisk in spelt flour, creating a paste. Add more butter if it is too dry. Let it simmer for a minute or so. Whisk in vegetable or chicken stock until well blended, as it thickens add milk, salt and pepper to taste. Add more milk if you'd like the sauce thinner. Add quinoa and pasta. sprinkle cheese on top and cover. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
*The original called for half n half instead of milk and vegetable broth and a little more quinoa. I liked using regular milk because I just didn't have the creamier stuff in my fridge and I like the flavor of the broth.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

This does look really really good. And sounds easy to make!! I think I will try it!! I think I know of a place here to get spelt and quinoa and stuff. So I am going to check it out and see what they have.

Stephanie said...

heck yeah i am gonna make that! yumm! i will let ya know what the kids think

Amber Leaders said...

Thanks again for your sweet words Well, I don't have any currently but prints may be something to look into!!!