Saturday, September 13, 2008

Red Quinoa & Lentil Meatloaf


Okay, don't let the title of this dish scare you! Read on people...


Red Quinoa & Lentil Meatloaf

1 onion diced
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup cooked lentils (I used red lentils)
2 carrots cooked carrots
2 eggs
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 cup Red Quinoa, cooked
1 cup chili sauce or tomato sauce
1-2 teaspoons Redmond Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-2 tablespoons basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano

Saute Onion in butter. Set aside and let cool. Puree lentils and carrots and eggs in a blender. Mix together all ingredients with hands, making sure all ingredients are room temperature and not too hot. Spray an 8x8 baking dish. Spread ketchup or tomato sauce on top. Cook at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in order for it to set.

Just a few tips: Cooking Quinoa: Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup Quinoa, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Let cool and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week or in your freezer for 1 month or more.

Cooking Lentils: Place 1 to 2 cups of lentils, cover lentils with water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. DO NOT ADD SALT, it take much longer to cook with salt added, same with tomatoes! If you need to add more water, you may do so. For this dish, I drained the water and put the lentils in baggies in my refrigerator.

My family loved this and I was shocked! The dish was a little crumbly because I didn't let it cool and set but other than that it was yummy! Let me know how yours turns out ;)

1 comment:

Lynette said...

This all sounds good! I still keep thinking about those yummy pancakes we had and I think about all the stuff you post - I am getting excited to try some of this!! I think I will actually like it! So keep coming with the ideas!