Monday, September 1, 2008

Quinoa



I would like to try and "spotlight" one grain a week...give or take depending on how many yummy recipes I can include for each. This week I'd like to introduce you to Quinoa. I had never heard of this grain until about 5 years ago. I'd never really learned what I could do with Quinoa until this last year. Quinoa is such a pretty grain and when cooked is light and fluffy. I just learned during Education Week from Chef Brad that Quinoa also comes in red and black! This is such a powerful grain! It is loaded with all kinds of nutrition. Here is a list of some of those poweful nutrients:

  • Complete Protein: This grain provides all of the 9 essential amino acids (I personally thought the only place to find all essential amino acids were in meat, shows how much I know!)
  • Magnesium: Helps regulate and maintain healthy blood pressure
  • Fiber: Keeps the colon functioning properly.
  • Manganese & Copper: Great minerals that protect agains cancer and disease.
  • Calcium: To build strong bones and teeth.

Quinoa (pronouced Keenwah) helps regulate blood sugar, is gluten free and can be used in almost anything you cook! Because of the high content of protein it is very beneficial when eaten regularly during pregnancy and can increase your milk supply when nursing. I often make several cups of this and keep in in my refrigerator for up to a week or you can store it in your freezer.

Here are a few ideas for your cooking:

  • Breakfast cereal: You can have this alone for breakfast with honey or Agave or you can add it to your oatmeal or any other hot grain cereal you choose for breakfast.
  • Shakes: I often add this to my fruit or protein shakes and you can't even tell it's there.
  • Salads: This wonderful grain can be added to any salad! I love it in pasta salads and especially in fruit salads or sprinkled over your green salads. It has such a wonderful texture and mild nutty flavor.
  • Stir Fry's: Try adding this to your rice or in place of it. It is yummy!
  • Soups: I love adding this to any soup or stew I make.
  • Meat: I love adding this to my ground turkey or beef to make it go further and more nutritious. It is great in taco's, especially the red Quinoa. I added it to my Spaghetti the other night and the kids loved it!
  • Bread: I add the flour or the cooked grain to my homemade bread each week.
To cook Quinoa: Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup Quinoa and turn to low. Cook on low for 20 minutes. Pressure cook for 7 minutes.

For more information on other informational websites click here and here



2 comments:

The Jessee Journal said...

Hey Jenny, you mentioned you make bread. Do you have a good whole wheat recipe? I'm going to give baking bread a try this fall when the weather cools but I want to start with a recipe that I know WORKs :)

Stephanie said...

I love love love this grain!! it is sooo yummy with honey on it in the mornings it keeps you so full because of all the protein in it! i did not even think about adding it to my shakes and soups, thanks!