Monday, March 30, 2009

Homemade Flour Tortillas



Ever since I took a class about beans/bread/grains at a local health food store called Kitchen Kneads, I feel so much more confident in using my food storage! I am now on a serious budget with my husband looking for work that I've pulled out all of these recipes and am now a cooking machine! I have modified the recipe that they use and they turned out beautifully!


Homemade Flour Tortillas
2 cups whole wheat flour (If using your own grinder, grind it very fine. If you do not have your own grinder, do not worry about making the flour fine, regular whole wheat flour will work. Also, you can use spelt.)
2 cups white flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup cooking oil (I used canola oil)


Mix all dry ingredients in a mixer. Combine oil and warm water in a large cup, pour into mixer while mixing on a low speed. Mix 1 minute. Rest 5 minutes. Form into 18 balls or so, roll very thin. In a large fry pan, spray with nonstick spray and cook on both sides. They cook quickly. Do not brown them as then will be too crispy to fold.




I have a tortilla press and it is uh-mazingly easy! Doing this by hand is not bad, but if you like them and ever want to invest in one of these, you will have loads of fun! Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Jessee Journal said...

Thanks for the recipe! I've wanted to make wheat tortillas for awhile but it's always hard to find a great recipe from the get-go. Plus, I don't (yet) have a tortilla press, so my one attempt was pretty bad :)